What kinds of things do you like to get recognition or kudos for?
If you could spend all your time doing just two or three things, what would they be?
How many hours a week do you usually work? Or what percentage of the week are you on the go?
What do you do with your “free time,” if you have any?
Read together Genesis 2:1-3.
- Why would God need to take a rest? What’s this in the Bible for?
On Sunday, Steve Deur made the point that this indicates that God cares deeply about how we spend our time, building a rhythm of rest and work into the universe. In a culture where being busy equates to a sense of importance and success, how does a follower of Jesus order their time?
- Do you have a friend who is just too busy? What makes it that way?
- How would you re-order their lives to bring health, margin, and rest?
- If your calendar is a theological document that expresses your trust and finding your value in God, how are you doing?
Take some time to look at your schedule/calendar. If you’re married, do this with your spouse.
- Are our values and priorities getting the time they deserve?
- Are we working out of our rest? Or are we crashing exhausted into our time off/free time?
- Draw the pendulum and put yourself somewhere on that continuum.
- What is one thing we can remove from our calendar for the sake of creating more margin?
- What is one thing we can do to make our time off/free time more life giving and centered on realizing who we are apart from work?