Deur’s Main Idea:
Pride is blinding. Jesus loves us enough to wake us from our slumber in self-security, self-sufficiency and comfort. What will we do about it?
Re-live the glory days.
- What group did you hang out with and identify with in high school?
- What was your reputation in high school? Are you still known by that?
- What accomplishments are you most proud of from high school?
- Were those “the best of times” for you? Why or why not?
Thoughts on Sunday’s teaching…
Steve talked about the wealth and security of Sardis in its rich history. They were known for their amazing gymnasium, active temple prostitution, and impenetrable defensive position in the hills.
- What about their culture and history did you find interesting or want to know more about?
- In what ways is our culture (local or national) similar or dissimilar.
Read together 2 Timothy 3:1-5.
- What are your first gut level thoughts on this passage?
- How are these dangerous attitudes to have?
- What attitude pops up a couple of times that relates to Sunday’s teaching?
At the core of Jesus’ criticism of Sardis was their pride and self-sufficiency that lead them down all sorts of dangerous paths. But pride can often be difficult to spot in our own lives.
- What type of person (or maybe public figure) do you think of when you think “proud” or “cocky?”
- In what ways does pride and self-sufficiency creep into our own attitudes and actions?
- How has that set us up for failure in our lives (relationships, jobs, spiritual lives, etc.)?
- Have you ever been called out on it? (If not, are you wondering if it’s a blind spot in your life?)
What kind of habits (thoughts or actions) would be helpful for keeping us in a humble, dependency on Jesus that doesn’t need to keep up fronts or appearances? (Make a list.) Take the list that you just created and look for one that jumps out as readily applicable to you.
- Repent! Plan a habit around that way of acting or thinking.
- Reach out for help! Who can you talk to (for accountability, to confess to, to ask for help, etc.)?